Monday, May 27, 2013

Dying on Mt. Olympus. Oops, I mean Hiking Mt. Olympus..



Hitch Hiking Mount Olympus
may be the way to go....
Just a little word of advice from me to you.



Oh, I'm just kidding.
It wasn't that bad.
It was actually a lot of fun!




The five of us and Tundra
made the 6 hour round trip trek up to Mount Olympus.
 We ended at about 9026 feet in elevation,
after climbing 7.5 miles up and back.




Just when you think you have made it to the top,
after non-stop, steep climbing
with people passing, saying things like:
 "Don't worry, you're almost there!" and "You can do it!"
Hate that by the way.. I'm fine! Thank you very much!
I don't need you reminding me that I look like I might drop dead any second!! Not helping... :)
Anyway... to cut to the chase..
the top, was not the top!

Not the "top"... :)
But at least we got to enjoy some lunch at the almost "top"

To get to the very top
we had to continue climbing up,
a wall of rocks!
We were basically on all fours
making our way up this steep, rock garden.
It was fun, but would have been more fun if we weren't already exhausted.


At the top
you immediately forget that you nearly died hiking to get there.
It was just incredibly gorgeous and crisp.
We snapped a few pictures and relaxed,
before making the inevitable and dreaded trek back down.
I am beginning to learn that as much as you dread the uphill battle,
it's always the overlooked downhill that kills you in the end.



Derek and I often dream about hikes with zip-lines taking you back down.
Haven't found one yet.


It was the funniest thing...
On the way down, Tundra was the one we worried about most.
The poor guy was just done!
Every chance he had, he would lay down in the shade.
He literally just called it quits.
Surprising...
Since he never seems to tire..


It certainly wasn't an easy hike, but I would do it again.







2 comments:

  1. Sounds like we had similar experiences on this hike, it was ten times harder then I thought it was going to be!! but it is true that the top is gorgeous and totally worth it! However, I don't know if I can say I would do it again ... haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!! So true!! If it wasn't for that last ten mins of pure rock... I wouldn't even had complained. :)

    ReplyDelete